Following the recent gas explosion at a Northwood property in Christchurch, WorkSafe have issued some important reminders about using gas safely.
Ensure any gas fitting is carried out by a licensed gasfitter and ask to see their practicing license ID card
Whether you are having a gas heater, fireplace, water heating, oven, cooktop or heating system installed or serviced, you must always hire a licensed gasfitter. The experts will make sure it is connected correctly, flued and vented, working properly, and most importantly safe to use.
Get your gas appliances regularly serviced
If you own or use a gas appliance, make sure you’re clear about who’s responsible for maintaining it. Follow the manufacturer’s advice on service requirements or be sure to get appliances checked yearly.
Gas appliances must be properly ventilated
Gas appliances need fresh air to operate safely and efficiently. Only use unflued appliances in areas that are well ventilated.
Get your LPG cabinet heater and cylinder checked every year by a licensed gasfitter
If gas heaters are faulty or poorly maintained, or don’t get enough air to operate, they won’t burn the gas properly. In extreme cases that means they will emit toxic carbon monoxide and other gases. Carbon monoxide can be lethal and it can’t be seen and has no smell.
Check before you dig
Make sure you check for any underground gas, power, telephone or water services before you dig.
Look out for the danger signs
Contact a licensed gasfitter if any of these danger signs occur.
You can smell gas.
The flame burns yellow instead of blue, which could be a sign the appliance is not operating properly. (Note: some flame-effect gas fireplaces are designed to burn with a yellow flame).
If you notice a gas smell that persists after you turn off your gas appliances or supply, get outside to a safe place and call 111. For more information and tips about gas safety visit Gas Safety.